This call came through the SMFS today.
The Killer is back!
We had so much fun with The Killer Wore
Cranberry back in 2010, and The Killer Wore Cranberry: A Second Helping
in 2012, we have to reset the table this year with The Killer Wore
Cranberry: Room for Thirds.
As in the previous anthologies, all
the stories contained within must be about murder and mayhem happening
at Thanksgiving, and must feature a typical Thanksgiving dish as a vital
part of the story (i.e.: turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie). Most
importantly...it must be funny! This anthology is all about making
people laugh while enjoying a great mystery short at the same time. The
anthology will be edited by Editor-in-Chief Jay Hartman.
And now, the rules:
1. All stories must be between 1500-5000 words.
Deadline for submission for consideration is September 1st, 2013. This
is a firm date; no submissions after this date will be considered.
3. All submissions should be sent to Jay Hartman at jhartman@untreedreads with the word THANKSGIVING in the subject line.
4. Submissions must be in DOC, RTF or ODT format.
5. We will not be publishing the stories individually. Only the anthology will be available.
Authors will receive royalty, but not upfront payment. Authors will
each receive a share of royalties of 50% of net (net = cover price -
vendor commission) based on the number of authors in the final
7. Characters appearing in other Untreed Reads series or
other series not published by us are strongly encouraged. If you are
published outside of Untreed Reads, please check with your publisher to
ensure you have the rights to create a new story for a different
publisher with your character(s).
8. Your story MUST have humor in it, feature a Thanksgiving dish and have a great mystery or crime at the heart of the story.
9. Stories not accepted for the anthology may be resubmitted in the future for other submission calls.
Previously published works are fine providing that electronic rights
have reverted to the author and the story is not currently offered for
free anywhere on the Internet or currently published through a
self-publishing venue (i.e.: Smashwords, Amazon KDP, etc.).
11. There are no restrictions whatsoever on age, race, sex, sexual orientation, etc in the work.. Just tell us a great story!
Please direct any questions to Jay Hartman at email@example.com.
We recommend looking at the original The Killer Wore Cranberry and its
sequel The Killer Wore Cranberry: A Second Helping for an idea of the
types of stories we're looking for.
All decisions on material
will be made by September 15th, 2013. Every attempt will be made to
notify all authors of the status of their submission at that time.
Please do not inquire about status prior to September 15th, 2013.
This anthology has an expected publication date of October 15th.
This is an open call, and may be reposted anywhere and everywhere.
Untreed Reads Publishing