Monday, May 31, 2010

Who Are You?

I ran across this post about writing your author bio this morning http://twelfthplanet.livejournal.com/12338.html

Author bios are the hardest part of the writing process for me. When I first started out I listed every newspaper, periodical and whatnot I'd been published in. Pretty stupid, especially since most of those publications had nothing in common with where I was currently submitting a short story. I learned over time, that the editor is more interested in your story than your bio unless you've been published somewhere spectacular. I think the best piece of bio writing advice I received came from PulpPusher editor, Tony Black. He asked for a bio that would show why I was qualified to write the non-fiction piece he was publishing.

I use that as a rule of thumb now. If I'm submitting to crime venues, I list three or four of the best crime venues I've been published in, then include my blog site address. The same for other genres I submit to. Since most bios are only 50 to 100 words I try to keep it as short as possible. How do you cope with bio writing? What do you think is too much or not enough? I'm curious about how other writers compose their bios.

As this is Memorial Day, here in the states, I'd like to extend my heartfelt thanks and prayers to those who serve and those who have given their lives for our freedom. God bless each and every one of you.

6 comments:

Michael Bracken said...

Author bios can serve two general purposes: They can promote the author's work or they can humanize the author.

For example:

Ima Writer is the author of the acclaimed "Kat Killer" series, including the just-released SIAMESE SUICIDE, and more than 50 short stories published in Cat Fancy, Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, and several dozen anthologies.

OR

Ima Writer, author of the acclaimed "Kat Killer" series, is the executive director of The Cat Sanctuary, a shelter for abandoned and abused cats of all breeds.

Of course, given enough space, they can do both:

Ima Writer, executive director of The Cat Sanctuary, a shelter for abandoned and abused cats of all breeds, is the author of the acclaimed "Kat Killer" series, including the just-released SIAMESE SUICIDE, and more than 50 short stories published in Cat Fancy, Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, and several dozen anthologies.

The ratio of promotion to humanization should be guided by the editor. Some editors want a just-the-facts bio while others specifically request "more than just a list of publications."

And. as a general tip: Unless an editor specifically requests otherwise, write your bio in third person.

G. B. Miller said...

I went flaky with my bio for my self-pubbed work, because I wanted to emphasis the warped sense of humor that I have.

Also did the same thing with my one published short.

Charles Gramlich said...

I keep a large scale bio and copy bits and pieces of it as appropriate for whatever magazine or convention I'm sending the stuff too.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, guys! I didn't know about the third person bio until I came across it in some submission guidelines, Michael. There are so many things they don't teach beginning writers.

David Cranmer said...

Sandra, I hope you are having a top Memorial Day weekend.

sandra seamans said...

I had a lovely day, David! I hope yours was enjoyable also.