Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sunday Musing

I was thinking about the things I miss from my younger days and the 26 episode seasons of TV shows popped into my mind. Yes, can you believe it? Every new show had 26 episodes! You got to know the characters, learned how they ticked, where they were vulnerable; you became almost intimate with them. I miss that.

I don't watch new shows anymore. Why bother watching a show that you suspect is going to disappear after only one, two or three episodes? Most of the time, I wait for the shows that succeed to air on the cable networks - then I get to know them.

I think that's one of the reasons people don't like flash fiction. It's there, then poof, gone. Nothing or no one to invest your time in. Some readers look at short stories in the same way. But with shorts, you've got the option of using a few words to endear your characters to the readers, a paragraph or two to make them real. You have the option, when you write, to make the reader care about what happens to your character. And as a writer, that's what you want. To make the reader care enough to keep reading.

And, of course, I have a link. Over at the Mystery File blog there's a 2007 essay about character versus plot in detective fiction written by Bill Pronzini. http://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=2078 The only thing a writer actually has any control over in this business is the story. You can make it plot driven or character driven but, either way, you ultimately have to make the reader care enough about the story to keep them reading.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I didn't realize it was 26 episodes. I remember the seasons used to be much longer though. I know what you mean about getting hooked on a show. I jsut got to liking Flashforward and now it's cancelled. Well, Don't have to teach me twice.

sandra seamans said...

Yep, 26 because there are 52 weeks in the year and that way each episode ran only twice. It also gave viewers a chance to catch the shows they missed the first time around when they kicked into reruns. Now, the shows that are successful get run so many times and on so many channels you don't have to worry about missing an episode. It's pretty easy to get bored with TV when all that's on is reruns. And they wonder why no one is watching!

pattinase (abbott) said...

the first season of I LOVE LUCY had 35 episodes!

sandra seamans said...

I didn't know that, Patti. I wish they still made that many. Of course, it wouldn't be very cost effective these days.