Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Late Day Linkage

Yep, I'm a bit late in getting a post up today. There's a big ice storm heading our way and so we were in the great outdoors splitting and stacking the last bit of firewood so we don't freeze our butts off this winter. Well, my husband and son were, I had the George Jetson job, pushing the lever back and forth on the splitter. A job which leaves my mind to wander so long as I don't pinch any one's fingers between the splitter pusher and the block of wood.

And my mind did a lot of wandering mostly about these links that Michael Bracken sent me this morning. The links are a continuation of the paltry pay for short stories discussion that's being flung across the Internet.

http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2009/12/07/writing-neepery-short-story-pay/

http://www.markterrybooks.com/2009/12/money.html

http://jimhines.livejournal.com/479488.html

My conclusions? Most of these guys are comparing short story rates to non-fiction rates and the difference between the two types of markets is staggering. Many of these writers are in a much higher tax bracket than I'll ever see in my lifetime. See, when I get twenty-five bucks for a story it's a yippee-skippy day for me. Four of those will buy a week's worth of groceries. I think the best view on this subject comes from Jim Hines, the last link, who doesn't so much talk about the money but about the markets and what you want to achieve when you submit your stories for publication. He lays out some good solid advice in the post and continues through the comment thread.

And if you're on the fence about this writing thing give this link a try. http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2009/12/08/quit-while-youre-behind-why-you-shouldnt-be-a-writer/ This is from Brian Lindenmuth who asks the question, who else is going to send you foul-mouthed writing advice? Nobody, Brian! But I must admit, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as I read this piece.

Oh, yes, the first issue of Pulp Metal Magazine has gone live. http://pulpmetalmagazine.webs.com/

If I'm not around tomorrow it will probably be because the ice took out the electric. It's one of those things we live with around here. At least, I've got a stockpile of books for reading and notepads for writing.

3 comments:

Conda Douglas said...

Yes, Sandra, I usually get paid more for my nonfiction--and often my articles are a faster write. It doesn't seem fair, but I console myself that the fiction writing speaks to my spirit. The articles are fun, but...

Naomi Johnson said...

Payment for writing!!! Is that really possible? (tongue firmly in cheek)

sandra seamans said...

It's funny, Conda, but most of the non-fiction I wrote was usually at the same rate as the fiction I'm writing now. Local and regional newspapers and magazines don't pay all that well either.

Oh, yeah, Naomi, but not so much when you're first starting out. Of course, newer writers have smaller expectations than those who have been at this business for many years.