Saturday, April 4, 2009

Zines

Have you ever wondered how to choose which new markets to submit your stories to? I have. Zines pop up all the time, some flourish like BTAP and A Twist of Noir and others just struggle to get enough submissions for the first issue, then die.

So, how do you pick? Take a good look at the start up page. Did they care enough to get the spelling right? Don't laugh, I ran across a new market last week that's seeking submissions and there were misspellings all over the place. If a publisher doesn't present themselves in a good light, are they going to care about you and your story?

And what about the people behind the new zine? Are they enthusiastic about finding the best stories out there or are they just looking for filler and a place to publish their friends? Take a look at their "about us" page or check out their blog, find out who they are and what they're about. Is their site presentable or does it look like it was just thrown together as an afterthought? Is this a place you want your work showcased?

Another thing to look at is who else they're publishing. Are they writers you know and admire? If you don't know the writers, read the stories. Do you want your story sitting side by side with theirs? I remember when Flashing in the Gutters started up, I was thrilled to share space with authors who had books published and writers who I knew from the zine world.

But the truth is, even if everything comes together with a good-looking zine, a publisher who cares, and writers who will knock your socks off, the zine can fail. Why, you ask? Good question. Not enough readers, not enough word of mouth, not enough quality submissions to fill the pages. The reasons are endless and success as iffy as the weather.

I remember Todd Robinson once saying in an interview that in the first year of ThugLit they filled the pages with their own stories because they weren't getting enough submissions. But they hung in there and all of a sudden they were the hottest market on the web. Where others would have thrown in the towel, he persisted and now the zine has an anthology publisher and more submissions than they know what to do with.

The zine world is a coin toss at best. As writers we need to seek out the best of them, support the new ones that look like they're reaching for the stars, and spread the word. Word of mouth advertising and submitting your stories is the easiest way to support and keep the best of them alive and breathing. And yeah, I'm a zine fanatic and damn proud of it.

10 comments:

Conda Douglas said...

As with everything to do with writing (and I suspect life) persistence and enthusiasm are key when I'm choosing a zine--the more sheer enjoyment I sense in the start ups the more I want to submit--if only to participate in the pleasure!

sandra seamans said...

Another thing I look for is if the publisher has gathered a group of people that will help him. Going it alone can become too much work to fast if the zine is a success. Having a good support group in place can be helpful on many levels.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have doubts about a few of them right now.

sandra seamans said...

Yeah, if they don't stick to their deadlines and publishing dates and don't communicate with the writers sending submissions, I tend not to submit to them. And then there's zines like Grim Graffiti that run along smoothly and all of a sudden they disappear without a word. It can be very frustrating for a writer.

Andrew Culture said...

And if you don't find any zines you like then start your own! Also, make sure you do a little reseach before submitting, don't waste your time submitting your sensitive poetry to a death metal for example


Crappy siggy;

My Zine Distro...

Badges are kinda my thing...

sandra seamans said...

Oh, I've thought of that, Andrew, but my computer genius borders on the mentally challenged side of the keyboard. The plainess of my blog wouldn't work for a zine.

And yes, always check out what's being published on a site. Plus most editors have a list of what they don't want. And if you don't believe me, check out the list at The Thrilling Detective site. They have a whole page full of used up PI cliches that you should avoid when writing for them.

I always have a problem when submitting to horror sites. What I think is horrific doesn't seem to faze them.

Andrew Culture said...

No way Sandra, the joy of zines is that anyone can do them regardless of IT skills. In fact when I go to zine fayres it's the cut and paste/ hand written zines that people really fawn over.

Oh, and there's something very cute and charming about not being grotesque enough for a horror site!


Crappy siggy;

My Zine Distro...

Badges are kinda my thing...

sandra seamans said...

I've never heard of a zine fayre, Andrew, could you tell us a little bit about them and where to find them?

Cute and charming? That would be the grandmother side of my nature, tends to pop into my writing now and then.

Andrew Culture said...

I'm not sure why I slipped into ye olde English with 'fayre', I guess I like the idea of a lot of zinesters coming together having an oddly medieval feel to it! I've just been to the great Brighton ZineFest I put a few photos on FarceBook HERE, and in a few weeks time is the equally great London Zine Symposium. They're particularly great for self publishers as you get a chance to put our your wares for people that are already predisposed to loving them, especially if you have put some thought into the cover by making it by hand or screen printing it or whatever. There's always an abundance of punk at zine fayres but don't be put off, us punks are so very misunderstood. Punk hasn't been about spitting in the streets and fighting cops for about twenty years now, it's now a by-word for freedom of creativity, social justice and loving communities!


Crappy siggy;

My Zine Distro...

Badges are kinda my thing...

sandra seamans said...

Sounds like fun, Andrew. Makes me wish I were in England. I don't think we have anything like that in the States - at least not where I live. Thanks for the links, I'll be checking them out later!