Monday, April 20, 2009

The Floor is Open

I think some writers forget that they are responsible for their own editing. Sure, when you submit a story, a good editor is going to ask for revisions but before it gets that far, you, the writer, have to write the best story that you possibly can. And that means rewriting and rewriting until your keyboard is worn out and you can't think of anything else to change. Heck, I'll be changing this blog post for the next hour or so after it's posted.

One of the biggest drawbacks to online publication is the lack of editing. While it's fun to be published online some writers fool themselves into thinking that everything they write is perfect because, hey, they're published. Many of the zines just post the stories as they come in, so if you've made a huge mistake, it's there for all the world to see - FOREVER!. I know, I've got some stories out there that I wish weren't.

Okay, so what do you look for when you edit your own story? I hit spellcheck, then look for the words that spellcheck misses. And believe me the wrong word is spelled right quite often. I'm an atrocious speller and when I don't trust spellcheck the dictionary is right next to the keyboard.

Another thing I do is compose sentences backwards. You know, like throw the cow over the fence some hay. It's a regional thing and I always have to rewrite my sentences so they make sense to the rest of the world. I'm doing it less and less but I still have to watch.

One of my biggest nits in a story is beginning a sentence with It. And yes, I do it and go back and change it later. I remember reading a best selling author and on one page she started about twenty sentences with it. That's just plain lazy writing.

Here's an example to show you what I mean. "It was a dark and stormy night." Yeah, I know that's an old cliche but it works for this example. Why not change it something like this, "The wind howled around the sleeping house, rattling tree branches against the windows, shaking monsters loose from restless dreams." Yeah, I went over-board, but do you see the difference getting rid of it does for your story? And of course, there will be times when It is the perfect word to start a sentence.

The list is endless of the things you can look for when trying to polish your story, but the important thing is making sure you've polished it. Your story is a reflection of you, if you don't care enough to write the best story you can, why should a reader care enough to read?

Those are some of the things I look for when I'm rewriting, now it's your turn. What trips you up when you're writing? Come on, don't be shy. There's no wrong answers here and we can all learn from each other's writing problems and maybe someone out there will have a tip to make your writing woes easier.

And the newest Conversations with the Bookless is up at BSC. A very interesting interview with writer, Frank Bill. http://www.bookspotcentral.com/conversations-with-the-bookless-frank-bill/

7 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think one problem is that I tend to just look at stuff on my computer. When I am smart enough to print it off I find things I didn't see. I am always grateful for the chance to look it over again should I be given one.

G. B. Miller said...

One problem I have, besides the now apparent lack of proper spelling when I type, is starting too many sentences with "so" and "after".

In all seriousness though, my main problem is spelling. Even though I use spell check, due to the now growing physical malady that I'm cursed with, I'm finding that I'm correcting about every fourth word when I type.

Makes for some serious flow issues.

Conda Douglas said...

One of my worst problems? My favorite words/phrases. I love the "find" function on computers, where I input "so" "as" "like" "anyway" and for some reason "plunked". Otherwise I'll use them over and over...

Michael Bracken said...

"Got." I've almost eliminated "got" from my writing because use of "got" indicates sloppy writing. In almost every case where a writer uses "got," the sentence can be redrafted to eliminate "got" or to replace "got" with a better, more descriptive word or phrase.

For example: "I've got to go." Try: "I have to go." "I must go." "I need to go." "I must leave." Etc.

Another example: "I got to my feet." Does that mean "I stood"? Or does that mean "I rolled out of bed and crawled across the floor to the chair on the far side of the room where I'd left my prosthetic feet when I'd undressed for bed the night before"?

(Almost every time I make this pronouncement about "got," someone challenges me with sample sentences. I can usually improve them. I still can't improve the advertising slogan "Got milk?")

My current bugaboo: "and then." I find that my initial drafts of action scenes--whether they're fist fights or sex scenes--contain so many "and then"s that the scenes wind up reading like an instruction manuals.

Ex: Apply your left first to his right nostril. And then apply your right fist to his solar plexus. And then bring your knee up sharply to collide with his descending face. And then kick him again and again when he's down. And then, as soon as you hear the police sirens in the distance, walk away. And then, when you're safely back in your apartment, standing under the hot pulsating shower washing away the punk's blood, you realize he never did answer your questions about the missing girl. And then kick yourself for your impatience.

Got it?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Case in point, I see several typos on a story of mine posted today. Drat!
I'm gonna get myself the huge glasses next time.

Paul D Brazill said...

I can'r read for typos on a computer scren either so I'm afraid I'll have to keep sacrificing trees!

sandra seamans said...

Patti and Paul, Printing off a story helps so much, but I've heard a lot of people say they just change the font or the letter size and sometimes the color and that will make the errors show up for them. I guess you just have to find what works for you.

I have the same problem with spelling, G. I just go ahead and type the whole thing up and then go back and check the spelling. That way you maintain the flow and since you have to rewrite anyway, it's a good time to catch the spelling errors.

I haven't figured out all the features on a computer yet, Conda. I spent four hours one day trying to figure out how to double space. Still haven't figured it out. My typewriter had a little button you could set - so easy. Sometimes I think they make things harder on a computer than they have too.

Welcome to The Corner, Michael! Nice to see the king of shorts stopping by for a visit. Your got is like my it. And I'm afraid I can't think of anything for Got Milk? unless you went with Want Milk? or maybe Have Milk, Will Travel?