Sunday, November 3, 2013

My Belle Amie - Such Sweet Memories

It's funny what will set off a memory.  I was reading Bill Crider's blog and ran across his post about the passing of basketball player Walt Bellamy.  Now, I'm not a sports fan and barely know any of the players but Bellamy was different because of a song called "My Belle Amie".

My old '64 Dodge was full to overflowing (usually there was six to eight of us crammed in there) with our church basketball team heading to a game.  That song came on the radio and we're all singing along when we realized one of the guys was singing "Walt Bellamy, I'm so in love with you".  He wasn't hearing "My Belle Amie", nope, he was hearing Walt Bellamy and ever after when that song came on we sang it for Walt.

I'm pretty sure that's not the proper way to remember someone so famous, but that's my memory of Walt Bellamy.  RIP, good sir, you were the source of a lot of good memories.

No comments: