Monday, October 7, 2013

That Hell-Bound Train by Robert Bloch

I love stories about people who make deals with the devil.  The best part is wondering how they'll wiggle out of their deal or if the devil is smart enough to trick them into hell.  As you read "That Hell-Bound Train" by Robert Bloch you just know that Martin is doomed to failure.  But oh that ride, and its surprise ending.  I found it online if you'd like to give it read.

I read this story in The Fantasy Hall of Fame edited by Robert Silverberg

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I read this one well over 50 years ago in F&SF. Never forgot it. A classic for sure.

sandra seamans said...

I've never read much fantasy, Bill, so I'm having a great time discovering all these wonderful stories.

Al Tucher said...

I remember it also. It's held up!

Manuel Royal said...

Great story; Hugo winner, if I recall. (Several stories have won the Hugo in spite of really being fantasy rather than sf, just because they were so damn good. Another is Fritz Leiber's "Gonna Roll the Bones".)

sandra seamans said...

It certainly has, Al. Hell-Bound could have been written for today's market.

Yes, it's a fine line between sci-fi and fantasy, Manuel.