Monday, October 28, 2013

Crowd Funding Anthologies - Thoughts?

I've been seeing quite a few anthologies listed on various crowd funding platforms.  I usually check them out but don't always post them as potential markets.

Why, you ask?  Well, some of them already have writers attached, you know the ones whose name will sell an anthology.  And some will only publish if they reach their goal.  For me, $10,000 to $15,000 to publish one book (especially an ebook) seems a little excessive and many never reach their goals, so in the case of KickStarter, no funding.

I linked to an anthology last year that had an open call but they only published ONE story from the open call.  That leaves a lot of writers with stories looking for markets.  And finding markets for failed anthology submissions can be pretty tricky.  Seems like a good idea to avoid anthologies that have invited writers to submit already.

Another thing that bothers me is asking for crowd funding when a successful press is involved.  Shouldn't they have the money in place for this type of project?  Why should they receive part of the profits for being the official printer?

Just some thoughts that have been rolling around in my mind of late.  What do think about crowd funding for anthologies?

7 comments:

Thomas Pluck said...

I like getting paid for writing a story for an anthology, so I am for this in concept, but it never seems to work out all that well. I mean, it can't be for an open anthology, because how do you sell it to the funders? I haven't published a for-profit anthology myself. I like the idea for charity, as it gives a boost. I don't know, I'm just not a big fan of crowdfunded books. I've been disappointed with some of them, I'm waiting for another one a year later, and one I contributed to turned out all right, but it's damn depressing when you see what little reach these campaigns have unless you have a bunch of social media superstars involved.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, the big names seem to sell better, but you'd think readers would take a chance on new writers when they're getting a variety to sample.

And I've read a few horror stories about people getting the money then not producing the product. Very iffy thing this crowd funding.

I'm waiting to see how well J David Osbourne does with the INCOGNITO anthology he's going to publish through Broken River Books. How well is it going to sell with no names attached to any stories? And will people take a chance on the publishing house instead of author bios? It would be nice to see great stories sell instead of names.

Linda Maye Adams said...

At least though these anthologies are trying to pay writers decently. I'm seeing far too many anthologies paying only $20 or royalties, not a pro rate .

sandra seamans said...

Yes, they are paying pro rates and that's a good thing, Linda. My concerns are more along the lines that people are writing the stories then the funding doesn't come through and they're left with an oddball story that might not fit somewhere else.

Being paid just royalties is even iffier. Some only pay royalties if they reach a certain amount and most don't get there. And yes, I know that from experience with a print anthology I was part of.

sandra seamans said...

And I should have added that I'd rather get the $20 or $25 up front than worry about being paid royalties.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

I happen to agree with you, Sandra.
I have short stories in three horror anthologies this month. One paid me $20, the other two will pay $25. No, that isn't much but each sends two print copies of the anthology as well. These are small publishers. So I know they can't afford much. But I don't like a share of royalties instead as I'm fairly certain the writers won't see anything.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, the royalty splits are a concern especially if the folks in charge don't send statements of sales or keep you informed of how things are going with sales.