Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The First Line Story Cupboard

May 1 is the deadline for The First Line's Summer issue.  The starter sentence is quite intriguing, "I started collecting secrets when I was six years old."  I also thought how easy it would be to replace secrets with something else, like fingers or knives, if you'd like to write a story about the birth of a serial killer or a mercenary.  Or perhaps she was collecting fairies or magic or falling stars.  You get my drift, any sentence can be made into a prompt just by the changing of a simple word.  Your story is just a switched out word away.

Oh yes, and The First Line is a paying print market that accepts stories in any genre.  You just have to start your story with their sentence.  Besides this sentence there are two more posted for 2013.

2 comments:

Stephen D. Rogers said...

Hey Sandra,

Subbed to this last month.

I love the concept underpinning this publication, and enjoy writing to a specific theme or prompt, and still have never had a piece accepted by them.

Yet. :)

Stephen

sandra seamans said...

They are definitely a tough market to crack, Stephen, but I'm sure you will.