Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Flip Sides

To brand or not to brand - that is the question every author has to wrestle with. Do we want to be placed in a nice comfortable pigeon hole or do we want to explore every possibility open to us as writers. The links today look at the flip sides of that question.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2011/12/21/dont-get-burned-by-branding

http://www.murderati.com/blog/2011/12/21/the-predictability-factor.html

One of the reasons I love the short story form is that I get to experiment in any genre that suits the story I'm working on. And yes, I've probably disappointed some of the readers who have come to expect crime stories from me, but those story voices that speak to me in other genres just won't be silenced.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think that is your greatest gift-the ability to tell a story in different ways and from different part of your imagination.

sandra seamans said...

Growing up I spent most of my time with my nose buried in a book and my imagination taking me to places I'd never been. It kinda stuck, and whenever I sit down to write that imagination just takes flight. Not sure if it's a gift or just a lack of concentration :)