Sunday, June 26, 2011

RIP Martin H. Greenberg

This is a sad loss, not only for his friends and family, but for the short story community as well. I didn't know Mr. Greenberg but last year when I received a request, on April Fools Day, to reprint one of my stories in an anthology I thought it was some kind of joke - until I saw Martin Greenberg's name in the email. Then I knew it was for real. Mr. Greenberg's name was on the cover of many of the anthologies on my shelf. Without his hard work and devotion I expect many short stories would have been lost forever. Rest in peace, Mr. Greenberg.

Ed Gorman, who worked with, and was good friends with, Mr. Greenberg has some thoughts here http://newimprovedgorman.blogspot.com/2011/06/martin-h-greenberg-has-passed.html

And from Bill Crider here http://billcrider.blogspot.com/2011/06/marty-greenberg-r-i-p.html

2 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

Let me give an 'amen' here. Mr. Greenberg's name was synonymous with excellent anthologies of short fiction. His shoes may never be filled.

sandra seamans said...

I think you're right, Naomi. It's hard to find an editor/publisher who believes in the short story form these day. I'm hoping with epubbing that will change though.