Tuesday, April 23, 2019

One Person's Opinion

Back in 2015 I first posted an anthology call for the non-paying market Zimbell House Publishing.   I posted about these anthology calls because they published both mystery and Western anthologies.

Now they were publishing about eight anthologies a year.  Authors are given one copy and Zimbell House pats themselves on the back for providing an opportunity for writers to "build their platforms".

For newbies this might a good deal and chance to dip their toes into the publishing business.  But here's my problem.  Last year Zimbell House started an erotica line call Temptation Press.  Same deal, one copy, no  pay.  This year they've started a children's line called Chipper Press.  Now we're talking about ten to fifteen anthologies a year, maybe more, and still no payment for writers.  After four years they should be able to at least pay authors a token payment or a royalty split, right?  If they're not making money they should be closing up shop not expanding their business.

And the final insult is that they're now accepting novel submissions.  If they decide to publish your novel they will "enter into partnership with the author".  You need to figure from the way this is worded that they will expect the writer to help pay expenses for a percentage of the profits.  You might as well self-publish.  It might be a better deal, especially if it's an erotica novel.

This is all just my opinion from watching the market, but it's been nagging at me for a while and I thought I'd share.  Your opinion could vary and that's okay.  I just wanted to put this out there so you can make your own decision about this market.

7 comments:

Thomas Pluck said...

Thanks for looking out for new writers. It's very easy to get pulled into a press that can't help you at all but is run by nice people who "mean well". This can subvert or damage your career (you'll bounce back, after wasting years when you could have been working with professionals.)
So, caveat emptor.

sandra seamans said...

You're right, Thomas, it's so easy to get caught up in a press that isn't what it seems. And it's not always easy to know who you can trust in this business.

Carol Bennetts said...

I appreciate this information. I was planning to submit a short story to them for one of their anthologies. Since I'm unpublished, I suspect it's still worth doing...

Jacqueline Seewald said...

I hadn't heard of this one, but I definitely would not submit work to them. What's the point? I get an argument sometimes from other writers who are only too happy to be published for "exposure" alone, but I think that's selling themselves short. If the work is worthy of publication, there should be payment as well.

sandra seamans said...

For the anthologies, Carol, giving away a story is fine. I've been there and done that and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Just don't make a habit of sending them stories because they'll publish you. Keep reaching for better and better markets.

I understand you position, Jacqueline. Have you read Michael Bracken's post over at SleuthSlayers this week? He makes some valid points for doing both.

Carol Bennetts said...

Thanks, Sandra! I thought I'd try the one anthology because my story fit well with the theme of the issue.

om logistics said...

Dedicate the time to the business that you have set aside for it.play bazaar
play bazaar

play bazaar

Play bazaar