Saturday, June 25, 2011

Shorts Again

Sometimes it really bugs me that people who write articles about short stories always use the title "The Long and Short of It". And yes, I've been guilty of doing it, too! While the author of this article pretty much states the obvious (to short story writers :) ) it's worth a read to remind yourself how important short stories really are. http://pimpmynovel.blogspot.com/2011/06/long-and-short-of-it.html

A great article that encompasses the history of short stories and where they might be going in this new world of epubbing is written by Kristine Kathryn Rusch on her wonderful blog http://kriswrites.com/2011/06/22/the-business-rusch-short-stories An optimistic look at the short story!

Finally, editor, Alan Rinzler, has some advice on trusting your reader. He talks about how much or how little you should include in your story to get the point across to the reader. As a flash writer, I always looked for ways to trim to the bone, as I write longer stories I'm having to include all the stuff I used to cut. So if like me, you're learning how to add more to a story without putting in too much fat this article is a must-read. http://www.alanrinzler.com/blog/2011/06/23/ask-the-editor-trusting-the-reader

2 comments:

Conda Douglas said...

Useful to remember to "trust your reader" no matter the length of the work. I've been reading novels lately that don't, ugh.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, I know what you mean, Conda. Some series books drive me crazy by having to tell us about all their characters little quirks in every book. I've reached a point where I don't often pick up series by new writers anymore. The old guys they just told the story and trusted the reader to believe in the character.