Friday, April 16, 2010

Everything's Connected

Scattered about the web you'll always find a bit of discussion going on about heroines. Should they be kick-ass, do they need to display their feminine side, and lastly, should men be writing female protags? In his essay, "Heroines Who Don't Kick Ass", SC Butler shares his thoughts and points out a few heroines who don't kick ass in the usual way. I had to laugh when I was reading through the comments about the male writer who forgot his female protag had breasts. One drawback of men writing women. :-) While Mr. Butler's essay revolves around the fantasy world, mystery writers can pick up a few pointers from this thoughtful essay. http://www.sfnovelists.com/2010/04/15/heroines-who-don%e2%80%99t-kick-ass/

Another topic which raises its head quite often is how to find story ideas. Juliette Wade tells us in her essay that "Getting Ideas is a Skill". http://talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com/2010/04/getting-ideas-is-skill.html I hadn't thought of finding story ideas as a skill, but if you're a writer, it's a good skill to have and hone.

And, of course, the thing that most writers have to face down on a daily basis, "The Fear". Russel D. McLean has a great post over at Do Some Damage today about fear. http://dosomedamage.blogspot.com/2010/04/fear.html

I've found that when the universe sends you connected links that's it's always a good idea to post them. Above were all writing links that came my way this morning and next up is a pair of links to mystery author, James Crumley.

Over at Rara-Avis this link was posted to a discussion about Crumley's influence on mystery writers. http://wisdommistakenforlunacy.com/?p=73 and then I happened onto Crumley's Montana over at Chris La Tray's blog. http://stumblingthewalk.blogspot.com/2010/04/detectives-around-world-montana-of.html

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't see a problem with men writing women heroines or women writing male heroes. In fact, to tell a well rounded story you generally need to do both.

sandra seamans said...

You're right, Charles, but there seems to be a great prejudice that exists for whatever reason.

I know, for me, it's easier to write male characters, but then, I have more males in my life than females. I've had a better chance to study how the male mind works and reacts and I think that is reflected in my stories.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And I do have to read THE LAST GOOD KISS. Been sitting on the TBR too long.

sandra seamans said...

I haven't read it either, Patti. The only Crumley I've come across is "Border Snakes" and I just couldn't seem to get into the story. Of course, after I picked it up, someone mentioned that it was one of his lesser books.

Naomi Johnson said...

I really enjoyed the photo-essay on Crumley.

What Charles said about a well-rounded writer needing to write female & male characters: absolutely.

sandra seamans said...

Chris did an excellent job of showing us Crumley's setting, Naomi!

And yes, be able to have both female and male characters that are more than cut-outs is a necessity - one I don't always achieve, though I keep trying.