Sunday, April 25, 2010

Driveway Visitors

I'm always amazed at what I see out my windows. Over the years there have been stray horses, whitetail deer, wild turkeys ( the real thing, not whiskey!). Once there was even a black rabbit which narrowly escaped the jaws of one of the cats. Mostly because the cat wasn't quite sure what was hopping around in the driveway.

This morning I had the rare good fortune of seeing a pair of common flickers doing a mating dance in the driveway. I'll admit, I had to dig out the bird book to find out that these beautiful birds were actually woodpeckers. So beautiful and amazing to watch. Here's a link to a picture I found online http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/nflicker.htm

I hope your Sunday is filled with the same kind of beauty as mine.

6 comments:

Oscar Case said...

Beautiful bird. We don't see them here in the desert. but I do enjoy the quail and mocking birds, etc.

sandra seamans said...

There's just something about birds that bring a special joy to people, Oscar. I'm not a big bird watcher, but I alway love discovering a new bird passing through my world.

David Barber said...

I've become a bit of a watcher since I moved to Scotland and have an alomost dead tree in the front garden with a few bird feeders on it. It's great to sit and watch what turns up (My two daughters love watching them as well, which I think is a great thing). There seems to be something new every day. All we had back in manchester were pigeons, magpies and the odd starling. Nothing very interesting or clourful like up here. :-)

sandra seamans said...

Kids just love watching birds, David. My two grandsons get a kick out of watching the large flock of wild turkeys that hang about here in the winter time. You're lucky with the bird feeders. We can't put them up because they draw in the bears. Nothing worse than a bear hanging about the front yard!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Walking in suburbia yesterday, we saw two pheasants, male and female, out for a similar walk.

sandra seamans said...

Pheasants are beautiful birds, Patti. We don't see them around here too often as its a preditor heavy area.