Thursday, January 21, 2010

More Links

I'll bet you can tell I'm between projects today. I polished a story and sent it out this morning and haven't decided what to work on next. I hate this space between, that moment when I have to decide what I want to write next.

So, traipsing around the 'net I came across this post http://www.spectator.co.uk/susanhill/5714598/no-amateurs-are-not-just-as-good-as.thtml What are professionals so afraid of? It's not like anyone is knocking on the amateur's door and offering them thousands of dollars for a short story. Please - get a grip. We amateurs have to earn our way to the top just the same as you. And these days, it more about luck and the publishers bank account than anything else.

There's an interesting look at the horror genre in this blog post by Monica Valentinelli and quite a debate stirring the pot in the comments. http://www.apexbookcompany.com/blog/2010/01/monica-valentinelli-blog/

And this post about the stages of a spec-fiction writer are just as germane to any new writer in any genre. http://jaylake.livejournal.com/2033417.html

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And these days, it more about luck and the publishers bank account than anything else."

Don't let Jim Hines see you write that. ;) Didn't you post this the other day?:

http://www.jimchines.com/2009/12/insulting-writers/

The Spectator article was correct, but he sounded very stuffy. Heck, how many amateur writers in the blogosphere would post stories anonymously?

Naomi Johnson said...

Well, I can't say I blame that author for wanting her name on her work. I want my name on my work, too. (Yes, me, an upstart amateur.) But was it worth all that anger?

Charles Gramlich said...

congrats on getting the story sent out. I enjoyed the discussion about horror over at the link.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, Anton and Naomi, I could see her point about having her name attached. Asking someone famous to participate in a project like this and not using her name is...well... a bit dumb.

What really got me riled was her attitude that because of her education and body of work she was so much better than everyone else. She seemed insulted that anyone would consider putting amateur work beside hers.

I've had my work published with some authors I really admire and have been thrilled. Now I wonder if they were insulted because my work was included with theirs.

And maybe I'm just over-reacting.

sandra seamans said...

It is a wonderful discussion, isn't it, Charles?