Monday, August 3, 2009

The Flow of Money

Over on SMFS one of the "rules" that is stated over and over is "money flows to the writer". Why do I mention money? Because the other day Brian Lindenmuth emailed me a link. http://nihilistic-kid.livejournal.com/1354090.html from there I clicked to another essay http://notesfromthegeekshow.blogspot.com/2009/07/do-not-submit-to-narrative-magazine.html plus a few other links from both spots but these two pretty much cover the gist of what's going on at Narrative Magazine. http://www.narrativemagazine.com

And what's going on you ask? These folks charge a $20 reading fee to take a look at your story with absolutely no guarantee that they'll publish it. Money flows towards the writer, folks, not away. If you have to pay to be published, perhaps you're not ready to be published or just haven't found the right place for your story.

One thing I don't do on this blog is post contests or markets that require fees and, believe me, there's lots of them out there. For me it doesn't feel right to have to pay someone to read my story. While I might give my work away, I never pay for the privilege of being published.

2 comments:

Conda Douglas said...

Boy, that almost seems like it should be a typo--but it's not. How weird. I hope that the newbies amongst us don't fall for this.

sandra seamans said...

It's always a temptation to want to pay to get what you want, especially if you're new and impatient to the writing game. I'd seen the market before, but didn't post it, so when the links came my way I thought it might be a good idea to pass them along.