Saturday, July 4, 2009

Appealing Characters

I've heard a lot of readers raving about Lee Child's Jack Reacher books, so a few years back I tried to read "The Hard Way". I made it through about a third of that book but gave up on it because it didn't really capture my imagination. Then a couple of weeks ago I ran across the first Reacher book, "Killing Floor". I thought maybe this was one of those series where you needed to start with the first book to appreciate the whole series.

I made it all the way through this one. It's a fast read and action-packed. My biggest quibble with the book was how much I had to suspend belief to accept the plot. Come on, if the head guy in a Treasury Department investigation turns up dead, those guys are going to investigate, not sit on their butts waiting for Reacher to solve the case for them.

After reading "Killing Floor", I read "Black Money" by Ross MacDonald and it suddenly struck me why I didn't care for the Reacher books. Reacher is totally self-centered. Everything he does revolves around how it's going to effect him and his life, while Archer does worry about keeping his paying job, he's more worried about his clients and solving the case. He's actually likable, with a moral center, where Reacher isn't. It's hard to love a character who loves himself more than I ever could.

For me, I have to like the character I'm spending time with. He or she doesn't have to be a "good" guy but I like to see a smidgen of humanity leaking off the page. So, how do you take your characters? Do you prefer them likable or just there to move the action across the page?

Oh yes, I highly recommend "Black Money". It was my first Ross MacDonald novel but it won't be the last. From the characters to the writing this book was superb.

8 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Ross MacDonald never disappoints. I think his place now should be recognized equal with Chandler and Hammett.

sandra seamans said...

I just loved this book, David. He had such a way with words that I'd stop to admire a turn of phase but was never thrown out of the story.

Paul D Brazill said...

never read either writers but I'm sure I'd like Macdonald.If you're talking about UN appealing charcters then Banks' Cal Innes is the one for me. Every few pages I want to give him a slap but I keep on reading!preare

sandra seamans said...

Never read Banks, but there are many unappealing characters out there. I think the trick is in the writer being able to make us love those characters enough to keep reading while we'd still love to slap them.

Robert Crais' Pike character is very similar to Reacher but you can feel his humanity when he deals with clients and his coldness is offset by the Elvis Cole character.

Barb Goffman said...

Hi, Sandra. Read your blog every day. First posting. With a novel, I think it really helps to have a likeable character, although I think a book with a simply interesting character could sell if the character has other favorable traits (perhaps she's snarky (i.e., somewhat unlikeable) but also funny). I think you have more latitude for an unlikable character with a short story. As long as the story is interesting enough, the reader should stick with you. Short story characters also don't have to end up on top at the end, like novel protagonists do.

sandra seamans said...

Welcome, Barb! There are some great advantages to writing short stories and having an unlikable character is one of them.

I think with novels it's like an extended visit with a friend, if they're grumpy and annoying, it wears on you until you just want to go home.

There's a fine line between interesting and quirky to just plain irritating that a writer has to walk to make the character work for the reader.

Martin Edwards said...

Very interested in your comparison of Macdonald and Child. It's definitely persuasive.

sandra seamans said...

Welcome, Martin! It was just something that hit me while I was reading the MacDonald book. Archer was so warm and human on the page while Reacher felt distant to me.

I like characters who don't just react, but take the time to think and consider how their actions will affect everyone around them. I liked that Archer had a moral center that I didn't feel in Reacher.

While I enjoy reading books with lots of action, they're not the ones I seek out on a regular basis.