Sunday, March 25, 2012

It's Always Something

Another market writers should avoid!
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241031

I've found over the years that while many markets offer payment they actually hate to part with their money, and the smaller the payment, the harder it is to squeeze the money out of them :) Truth is, if you're like me, you'll just let it go because there's not much point arguing over a dollar or five. The costs of trying to collect doesn't make it worth the effort and I expect that's what many publishers count on. I'd rather be published without payment than lied to by one that supposedly pays. Of course, if you're a freelance writer using the money to put food on the table, that's another story entirely.

Hat tip to Brian Lindenmuth for the link!!

4 comments:

Katherine Tomlinson said...

Well, I got paid for my contribution to the first Absolute Write anthology (Absolute Visions) but ... i didn't know it had actually been published until I stumbled across it looking for a short story to read for the 365 challenge. I was pretty surprised by that. Not impressed at all...

sandra seamans said...

It wasn't Absolute Write, Katherine. The thread on the forum was about The Dream People zine and their editors response to an author's request for payment.

Katherine Tomlinson said...

Sorry--was cranky yesterday and obviously my reading comprehension was low. Sorry about that.

sandra seamans said...

Not a problem, Katherine. I have those days, too!