Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Critiques

One of the hardest things for new writers is the process of critiques. Sure, we want the advice on how to make a story better, but, well, there's that ego thing all writers have. Once those words have hit the page, we tend to believe that they're perfect. But the truth is, they're not. That's where critiques come in. And learning how to use a critique, or even how to critique another writer's work can be both agonizing and humbling. So it's a lucky thing that I ran across some links about the critting process this morning!

Chuck Wendig has an excellent rundown of both sides of the process of critting over on his blog, "Terrible Minds". http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2010/08/23/how-to-take-criticism

Nancy Fulda tells us how to use those crits here http://nancyfulda.livejournal.com/264189.html

And Angela Slatter gives us some advice from the editor's side of the desk http://angelaslatter.com/2010/08/24/the-frustration-of-the-long-distance-editor/

One thing that I've learned about the critting process is that you don't learn anything if everyone tells you your story is great.

5 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

So very, very true.

Which is why I'm having a giant cloud of gloom form over my head in preparation of receiving my critique from a writer/blog buddy on my latest project.

Not looking forward to it, but it is a necessity if I want to grow as a writer.

sandra seamans said...

I think the hardest part is finding someone who'll be honest without breaking your heart. Hmmm, that sounds more like a love affair than a critique partner!

G. B. Miller said...

That's one way of looking at it I suppose.

Still, for me this is very giant leap. I think the short story blog I had for the past year helped me grow a thicker skin as it applies to my writing.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Once upon a time I had some great ones. They are worth a few stinging words.

sandra seamans said...

You definitely need a thick skin, G, and its something that takes years to develope and even then, it can still hurt.

Yes, when you know the group has your best interests at heart, Patti, you can accept the criticism and appreciate the feedback.