Thursday, August 6, 2009

In the Zone

Over at Charlie Williams' blog he's asked a group of writers one single question and posted their answers. The question?

"When it's going well, what does writing feel like for you?"

He's got some great answers from some extraordinary authors.

http://charliewilliams.blogspot.com/2009/08/one-shot-1.html

So what about you? Feel free to drop a comment and tell us what it feels like. For me?

When it's going well, I'm no longer me, I'm the character who's telling the story. Ain't a better feeling in the world than walking in those shoes.

5 comments:

Cormac Brown said...

I agree with you whole-heartedly and to quote/paraphrase (can't remember it verbatum and I can't Google it right now) Quentin Tarantino-

It's always the best when the characters speak to you and it is as if you are just in the room, watching it all happening and writing it down.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, that's it exactly, Cormac. I love when I get lost in the first draft of a story. It's always such a surprise to look at the clock and realize that hours have passed in the blink of an eye.

pattinase (abbott) said...

When it's going best, you are unaware you are writing at all. It's as if the story is already written and you are just an automaton.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, Patti! And those are the days I wish my fingers could keep up with the pictures in my brain!

Barbara Martin said...

When writing is going well I'm immersed deep into the story, trying to get it out on paper as quickly as I can before I lose my thought threads.