Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Perfect Beginnings

I've been seeing a lot of articles lately telling writers that they have to have a great first sentence, paragraph, page, or chapter in order to catch an editor's attention. And yes, you can hone that "first" of anything into something perfect but what about the rest of the story or novel? I wonder how many editors out there are thrilled with that "first" then turn the page to discover that the rest of the story isn't nearly as good as that "first" blush of promise.

Why all the advice about getting the beginning right without the followup that the whole story has to be as good as that first impression? That the ending has to have the same bang as that perfect beginning. Good first impressions are great, but be careful that you don't trip over your own feet trying to impress an editor. And yes, I've written some great beginnings but then the story just peters out. (sigh)

Any thoughts from you editors out there? Readers, have you read a great beginning than three or four chapters in wondered where the heck the story was going?

7 comments:

Chris Rhatigan said...

As an editor, I give the writer two pages to get something going. Give me enough story to keep me hooked, or make me forget about the plot with a superior voice, fascinating characters, etc. I would say 70 percent of stories I reject I stop reading after two pages. I would imagine that readers don't even stay tuned in for that long if they don't like it.

That said, you don't have to write a startling opening paragraph or first line. I'm all for stories that build slowly but surely.

Rick said...

I'm with you on this!

sandra seamans said...

I agree with you, Chris, there's nothing wrong with a story that builds slowly and takes its time. You just need to keep the story interesting.

Some stories that start with a bang and keep pounding away leave me feeling assaulted. Readers actually needs a chance to breath while reading.

That's why action movies give you humor and maybe a few sex scenes or a diner scene. No reason a writer can't do the same thing in their story.

Al Tucher said...

My first sale resulted from a "best first paragraph" contest. I didn't win, but the editors published my story as a regular submission. I think I prefer that outcome to a story that is praised for starting well, and who cares what happens after that.

sandra seamans said...

Yep, that's a much better outcome, Al!

pattinase (abbott) said...

The voice is everything for me. A good voice can lead me slowly or fast. If you can create that voice, I am hopelessly in love with you.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, that's the trick, Patti, finding the right voice to carry the story.