Friday, April 13, 2012

Fires on the Plain

Back when Fires on the Plain first opened I pulled an old Western I'd been playing with out of my files and tried to whip it into something publishable. All it did was frustrate me near to death. Then one night I was watching "The Rifleman" and the setting was a nearly deserted town, which made me think of ghost towns and ghosts and so my new story began to take shape. The story is also a salute to one of Stanley Ellin's short stories that I read recently. I can't tell you which one though as it would give away the story. :) Anyhoo, after putting the final polish on the story I sent it off to the editor and today, with many thanks to Cullen Gallagher, the story is up.

http://firesontheplain.com/2012/04/13/no-rest-for-the-weary-by-sandra-seamans/

And if you haven't been reading this new zine, you should be. There's some great work there that turns the Western genre on its ear.

5 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I am all over it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I can't seem to get my comment to stick on there. Not sure why. Great story, Sandra! What a horrible fate-to be tortured by your past as you lie dying-again and again. War is Hell.

sandra seamans said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Patti.

Barbara Martin said...

Nice detail, Sandra. Sets the stage well.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, Barbara!!