Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Duplicate Titles

It's raining - AGAIN, so it seems like a good morning for a rant. What's my rant this fine, lovely morning? Brands. Did you know that people (one person actually) are branding themselves and getting pissed because someone uses the name of their brand for a book title? Yep, a whole big kerfuffle just because someone used the same name.

And there's a contest over at Chris Ratigan's blog to rename that infamous brand stealing book. Stop on over and drop a suggestion in the comments. http://death-by-killing.blogspot.com

PS: Don't suggest Pulp Tones or you'll be hung for title rustling.

PPS: Yes, I'm snarkey this morning! :)

9 comments:

Sean Patrick Reardon said...

Pulp Tones was a decent title , but I think it could be much better than that. IMO some much better ones have been suggested over at Chris' blog. Congrats to all the contributing authors too!

sandra seamans said...

Oh, yes, there are dozens of better titles, Sean. I was just amazed when I was reading his Twitter comments. Duplicate names are common in books and movies, even authors have the same names, so why all the fuss about his brand? I'm not going to the library looking for a book by Pulp Tone, am I?

Paul D Brazill said...

Brian's suggestion of The Greek Seaman is a beaut!

sandra seamans said...

Yes! Another great kerfuffle, that one was! You'd think with all the rejection that writer's endure they'd have thicker skins. Or maybe I've gotten old enough to see the humor in all of this?

Chris Rhatigan said...

Actually guys, we settled on a title--it will be called "A collection of short stories that exist in a vacuum are not based on anything that has ever happened or anyone has ever done." Catchy, huh?

sandra seamans said...

Very catchy! :)

Naomi Johnson said...

I know what you mean, Sandra. But I'm convinced that the new name, what ever it turns out to be, will sell tons more copies just because of karma.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Talk about a tempest in a teacup. Or is it teapot. Or is it temper in a teacup. Or is it a raging ego in a teacup.

sandra seamans said...

Yeah for Karma, Naomi!!

More like a temper tantrum in a teaspoon, Patti. I'm still shaking my head. I thought he was just joking when he first started ranting.