Saturday, February 20, 2010

McWriting

Have you ever had a week where things kept popping up that set you down a long path of thinking about a topic? Sure you have. My topic this week was writing outside of the publishing parameters.

What put me on this path was a comment on a newscast about Sarah Palin developing her "brand". Writers are often told to create a brand, build a platform and write what publishers want. All of which have created a half million vampire books, Harry Potter wannabes and cozy mysteries populated with hobbies, recipes, and pets. Gimmicks. In case no one ever noticed, ranchers brand their cows because they all look alike. Do you, as a writer, really want your story to be a pale imitation of everyone else's story? And the flip side is this question. Do you want to keep writing the same story over and over because that's the brand you've stuck on your work?

This last year, I stepped out of my comfort zone of writing hard noir crime fiction. Why? Because I couldn't crack into ThugLit or Plots with Guns and I couldn't figure out why. I was writing in all the curse words all the nasty degenerate things I could think of but my heart wasn't in it. My stories disgusted me. And I expect it showed. Once I cleaned up those stories and put a little heart in them, they sold to places like Shred of Evidence and Mouth Full of Bullets. Not the "holy grail" of noir but respected zines. And readers let me know that they enjoyed these stories.

I love writing crime stories, and noir especially, but I also wanted to experiment, to write stories that revolved around families, to play in the sci-fi and western playgrounds, to not keep writing the same story of screwed up characters over and over. If I brand myself as a crime writer, do I lose the option of writing the other stories that bubble up in me? Do I have to take every idea and spin it around a crime in order to be published?

Next, there was the discussion on SMFS about writing for the reader or writing for yourself, which I kind of instigated. If you want to published by a specific zine or NY publisher you have to write to their specs. There's nothing wrong with that if that's what you crave as a writer and if you have the skills to do it. Me? Been there and done that. It doesn't work for me.

A good example is my story "Glory in the Flower". I had bent that story so many ways over the years and had it rejected by so many zines, I finally tossed it in a drawer. When I was asked to contribute a gardening story to "Seeds" that was the first story that popped into my mind. The only editorial requirement was to keep it G rated and under a thousand words. Since the story was 1200 words and your standard revenge, bury the body in the garden story, I started slicing and dicing.

By cutting back to the bare bones, I found the sweet spot that could change the story into something different. I followed the heart of the story. As writers, that's what we should always seek to find when we're writing, the heart, not the gimmick. Will it be what an editor is looking for? Not always, but then it could be more than they're looking for. It could be that "give me something different" that they always say they're looking for but a writer can never quite find when they're trying too hard to please an editor.

And then this morning I read Scott Parker's post over at Do Some Damage. http://dosomedamage.blogspot.com/2010/02/we-are-world-and-losing-our-voice.html While Scott's post is about music, my mind jumped immediately to writing, to books and short stories that all read the same. We're all taught the same rules, start with the action then go faster until the story explodes with a mind-boggling twist. If you read any of the current crop of crime zines, that's what you'll find, the same formula over and over. But if you step back and think about it, the stories that really slap you in the face are the ones that don't follow the formula or that do, and give you something different within the formula. Those writers who get your attention have probably followed the heart of the story, crossed over the line of formula and into a place that tugs at your emotions or makes you sit up and think, yeah, okay, I can go here with this writer.

I know a lot of people didn't like "The DaVinci Code" but it's a prime example of taking a stroll off the beaten path. Dan Brown asked his readers to travel a "what if" path with him. What if Jesus had been married? After all, God sent his son to earth to experience being human and having a wife and child is part of that process, so why not? If a reader trusts the writer, he can take them anywhere. You just have write a "what if" that readers can believe in on some level. Readers love when you surprise them and take them on a journey where they least expect to go. Trust yourself, and trust your story. Choose not to be a McWriter. Unless that's really the path you want to take.

It's your choice how you write. You're the one behind the keyboard of your writing journey.

Now this is all written from my perspective as a writer who is learning to follow the story's path, who doesn't expect to ever have a published novel or make a billion dollars and I'm happy with that. And every writer who reads this has to decide what makes them happy, what they're looking for from their writing and do what's best for them. I'm no shining example of how its done - I'm just tapping away at the keyboard with the rest of you, trying to figure it all out.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not entirely sure how I ever began following this blog. I'm not a crime writer.

Whatever booze haze first brought me here, I'm glad it did.

That was, for me, one of the most inspirational blog posts I've ever read. I think I felt and HAD felt, every emotion you wanted to convey with the above.

Thank you.

G. B. Miller said...

A very excellent post.

Personally, I've tried not to pigeonhole myself into one particular type of fiction beyond the all purpose "Adult Fiction".

However, I have found throughout the past year or so, that whenever I do step out my comfort zone and write stuff that is beyond the realm of normal for me (like that small new age-y piece that got published on BTAP), it usually registers on my reader's radar and makes them go, "Hey, that's pretty good."

I guess it boils down for me, that I write about 75% for me, 25% for the readers.

And for the most part, it works.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I agree with many of your points. And we so need a zine with women as editors. Not for cozies necessarily but just for stories with a bit of heart to them--a bit of humanity. It is very hard to continually write stories I don't want to even read.
Maybe the return of Spinetingler will help. Sandra was willing to publish different kinds of stories.

sandra seamans said...

I'm not sure it's about having a woman at the helm, Patti, so much as having an outlet that bridges the gap between the hardcore and the cozy. There have been quite a few zines, like BTAP, MFoB and Crime and Suspense that did that with male editors. Some of the horror markets are more open to this type of story than the crime zines.

I really belive that if a writer isn't enjoying what he's doing it shows, G. So you really have to do what keeps the words flowing for you.

I'm glad you found the blog, Anton, you always add something interesting to the discussions.

BlackBear said...

"If I brand myself as a crime writer, do I lose the option of writing the other stories that bubble up in me?"

I don't think so. I've been published in three different genres--SF, mystery and erotica--and had success with it. (Mind you, cross-genre stories don't hurt, either. I've also had a recent spate of success in SF-Mystery short stories as well.)

sandra seamans said...

Welcome to the Corner, BlackBear! I'm wondering, do you find that you have to use a different name in each genre so your readers don't get confused or do you just use your own name for every story? And where might I find some of your sci-fi/mystery work to read?

David Barber said...

One of the best posts I've read, Sandra. I write for myself mostly (At the moment) as I feel I am still learning and 'trying' to master the craft. I write different genres and step out of my comfort zone once in a while and I think it does me good. If I earn money from it one day, well that would be a huge bonus.

Regards, David.

Scott D. Parker said...

Took me a few days (the day job has me snowed under) but I finally read your post, Sandra, and discovered you quoted me. Thanks.

For me, I have a clear-eyed view of how the business works: Brands Sell. Thus, create a brand and run with it. If (more like when) a writer gets to a point when they'd like to do something else, there's always pen names. I've gone on record as saying I would prefer the writing career using pen names over a few books with my name on the cover but still keep a day job. I want writing to BE my day job. Don't we all. For me, when I find that brand, I'm running with it. If later on, I want to do something else and the published doesn't want to "tarnish" my brand, I'll write under a pen name. It's like Phil Collins and Genesis. He made a Genesis record and it sounded one way. Then, he made a Phil LP and it sounded different. That would be my holy grain kind of career.

Right now, I'm working on three projects, two of which I don't know where I'd even submit them. But I'm moving forward b/c there will be a market for them somewhere. So, I'm writing those for me. The audience will be found, too.

sandra seamans said...

Finding their own path is all any writer can do, David and Scott. There's no right or wrong way, and definately no guaranteed path to success.