Friday, February 26, 2010

Advice Columns

Nobody can tell you how to write, that comes from putting your butt in the chair and just doing it. The more you write, the easier it gets and the more confidence you build in yourself and your writing. But the truth is, a good writer never stops learning and the glory of the Internet is that there's lots of advice available for aspiring writers. With that in mind, here are some links to a few recent advice columns that contain some excellent advice on a variety of topics. Use what works for you.

Michael Bracken has been in the business for a long while and when he gives advice, I sit up and take note. http://crimefictionwriter.blogspot.com/2010/02/clean-up-your-act.html This advice is especially suited to you folks who submit to online zines. Many of those zines don't edit so you always have to remember that your story reflects on you as a writer. If the story is full of errors, it says you're a lazy writer who doesn't care about the reader. Readers appreciate a clean story. If its full of errors, another story is just a click away.

Chris Holm has an interesting post on adverbs, you know those pesky little "ly" words. http://chrisfholm.blogspot.com/2010/02/stay-of-idol-execution.html I read this post yesterday and used the advice to clean up the flash story I was working on. It made a world of difference in the telling.

Russel McLean has an interesting piece up at Do Some Damage today http://dosomedamage.blogspot.com/2010/02/12-step-plan.html While the post is about how to get your novel published, steps 3 through 11 are perfect advice for any short story writer to take to heart.

Juliette Wade has a very interesting take on finding your character's voice. http://talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com/2010/02/different-minds-different-voices.html When I started reading this essay, I thought it would probably be the same old - same old. Boy, was I surprised. Ms. Wade opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at my characters. Very cool advice!

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

THanks. I've been on a real reading about writing kick lately.

David Barber said...

I read Michael's post yesterday and will check out the other links.

I've just finished reading Stephen King's On Writing and found that a great source of information. A worthy read for any writer.

Great post again, Sandra.

sandra seamans said...

I get on those kicks, too, Charles, especially when I feel like everything I write is crap. :)

King's book is good, but I learned more from David Morrell's book "Lessons From a Lifetime of Writing". Morrell breaks everything down into lessons like you're taking a course from him. Lots of great stuff.

I adored Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird" because she took the time to show you exactly what a writer's life is like along with the lessons. No one could accuse her of blowing smoke up your butt about how wonderful writing is. She flat-out blasts you with all the reasons why you shouldn't want to be a writer. She's was the first writer, for me, who really laid it all out in black and white. If you're still writing after reading her book - perhaps, it's meant to be.

David Barber said...

Thanks for the info on the other books, Sandra. I'll be looking at them - Anne Lammott's, tentatively. ;-)

sandra seamans said...

You're welcome, David. And don't be afraid of Lamott, there's a lot of humor in the book that takes some of the sting out. She's refreshingly honest.