Monday, January 12, 2009

On Reading Hammett

I spent most of the weekend away from the keyboard. Oh, I checked my email and played a few hands of solitaire, and read a few online stories but most of my free time was spent reading books.

David Cranmer had posted some Dashiell Hammett quotes and I admitted that I'd never read Hammett. I've only come to crime writing in the last couple of years. Oh, I played around in the genre, but I preferred writing humorous stories so I'm not very well read in my chosen genre, to say the least. Anyway, I dug out a couple of anthologies and read two of Hammett's short stories. "Fly Paper" and "The Creeping Siamese"

What I liked about these stories was the way Hammett's Continental Op followed clues and how Hammett could write a fight scene, great stuff! But I don't think the Continental Op is for me. Don't get me wrong, the stories are great fun but I prefer my characters to have a...little more character? The Op seems to just go about his business without family, friends or relationships, except for the Old Man. Maybe because the current writers weave so much personal baggage into their stories this lack in these two Hammett stories stood out for me. While the early PI's tend to take on the persona of loners they still have friends that they can depend on which seems to be lacking in the Op's life. For those of you who have read Hammett more extensively is this also the way the Op books are written or is he given a fuller life in the novels?

I also found myself re-reading the Baby Shark books by Robert Fate this weekend. If you haven't read them, you should treat yourself to this wonderful series. They're a wonderful blend of action and humor with a great cast of characters.

And as I stepped back into the world of Internet, I've found that The Thrilling Detective's new issue is up, Beat to a Pulp has a new story by Kieran Shea that will blow your socks off and Bad Things first issue has hit the street. Urls to the left, ladies and gents.

11 comments:

Scott D. Parker said...

My reading of Hammett is limited: Maltese Falcon, Red Harvest, The Thin Man, and one short story, "Bodies Piled Up." I see your point about the Op not having a lot of character. Having not studied Hammett, I wonder if it's his way of providing a blank template into which any reader can see themselves. At least in the one short story, I remember the Op not being the stone cold operative we've come to see in modern times. That little touch of humanness was welcome.

Robert Fate said...

When the writer of A Righteous Bitch, a perfectly crafted and totally engaging piece of revenge, takes the time and makes the effort to speak kindly of the Baby Shark series, I must say that I am flattered and sincerely appreciative.
Warmest best regards, Bob Fate

sandra seamans said...

I've been wondering if he wrote the Op in the same manner he would have written a report when he was a Pinkerton. The stories I read almost sound like a police report in that they're totally impersonal but detailing the entire investigation. And it would explain why he never uses his name.

sandra seamans said...

Wow! Thanks for the drop-by, Mr. Fate, and for speaking so kindly about my story.

Lesa said...

I'm also a fan of Bob Fate, and the Baby Shark books, Barbara. Thanks for mentioning them. I wish more readers knew about these books.

Lesa said...

Apology owed, Sandra. I used the wrong name in writing to you because I had just talked to the Poisoned Pen, and Barbara Peters is the owner there. Sorry!

sandra seamans said...

No apology necessary, I mix up names all the time. But a big thank you for visiting my blog and for introducing me to Baby Shark. I actually won "High Plains Redemption" in one of your drawings. Baby Shark and High Plains Redemption were two of my favorite reads in 2008 and they're just as entertaining the second time around.

David Cranmer said...

The Continental Op wasn't one of my favorites. For me, The Thin Man is #1 followed very closely by all the Sam Spade stories. However, there is some amazing writing in "The Creeping Siamese." That story was featured in The Big Book of Pulps. Sandra, I'm interested in knowing after you read more Hammett whether you find his writing more inspiring than Chandler?

David Cranmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Cranmer said...

I meant to say closely by The Maltese Falcon and all of Dashiell Hammett's short stories. (I'm writing too fast.)

sandra seamans said...

I'm working my way through the Big Book of Pulps, too! But if Chandler's "Red Wind" is any indication of his writing, he's got Hammett beat hands down. I've barely touched the surface of the classics and most of that is through their short stories.