Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Marketing Links

One of the hardest things for new writers is finding markets to submit their work to. When I first started out I depended on Writer's Digest but discovered that everyone who subscribed responded to the calls and manuscripts were lost in massive slush avalanches that took editors months to climb out of.

The SMFS has a list on their web site and writers and editors post calls and new markets as they find them. It was through SMFS that I discovered most of the links to the left.

Now some of the links are for flash writing but the upper word count can be as much as 1500 for those who write longer. The Cynthia Sterling, Flash Fiction Flash, and Flash Writing are all Yahoo groups that send out weekly or monthly newsletters. Cynthia Sterling lists mostly romance markets for novels but she also lists short story markets that cover all the genres. Like most listings you have to sort through them and find what suits your writing.

Duotrope, Ralan, and Towse's Links are massive market listings and for the most part kept pretty well up to date. Towse's I don't know too much about as I forgot I had the link and found it in my email folder when I was looking for markets today. Maybe if I put it where I can find it easily I'll use it more often.

Help yourself to the links and if you have another source that you'd like to share drop me a line and I'll post it here. Happy marketing.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yellow Mama?

sandra seamans said...

I tried putting that link up but for some reason it wouldn't work. I'll have to try again. Thanks for reminding me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Loved your flash on Clarity.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, Patti! I love writing flash pieces.