Saturday, May 10, 2014

Short Story Month - Stage to Lordsburg by Ernest Haycox

The first book sale of the season was today and I scored big time in the Western genre.  Usually there's very few Westerns but there were several boxes donated to the sale and he only put out one of them so I'm very much looking forward to next month's sale.  I managed to snag four Luke Short novels - "Ride the Man Down", "Marauders' Moon", "Station West", and "King Colt".  I read an collection of his shorts and loved how he wrote so I'm excited to start reading these.  I also picked up "The Wild Bunch" by Ernest Haycox.  I read his short story "Stage to Lordsburg"  and yeah, I loved that one, too.  I found a collection of shorts by Jack Schaefer and I'm looking forward to reading them as he's the author who wrote "Shane".  I lucked into a newer Western by James Reasoner called "Medicine Creek" and "Westward the Women" by Nancy Wilson Ross, which is not so new.  And so you can get that Western feeling for yourself I've found Haycox's "Stage to Lordsburg" online.  There's a long introduction before the story starts so you can scroll down if you're not into introductions.  Oh, this story is the basis for the movie Stagecoach.

No comments: