Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The People We Meet

Tomorrow the stories for Patti Abbott's Flash Fiction Challenge will be going up. I always love these challenges because I get to write a story that it would never cross my mind to write. But even better is reading all the stories that come from that one challenge prompt. There's an amazing pool of talent out here on the Internet and I'm so happy to be a small part of it.

The funny thing about the Internet is that we so rarely think about all the people who are touched by our presence here. I mean, these people are strangers, yet we befriend them in a way that we might not if we were to meet face to face. And we do it all through the words we write on our blogs, in our groups, or on forum boards. We connect in ways that might be impossible in the real world due to distance and time and that knot of human prejudice.

I met my writing mentor in a Yahoo group. He took me under his wing and showed me how to improve my writing, encouraged me to submit my stories, and asked my opinions about starting a flash magazine, going so far as to ask me to be his co-editor. His encouragement kept me going when I was ready to throw in the towel on this writing business.

His name was KR Mullin and he passed away three years ago this month. I miss him and his encouragement so very much. His death left a big hole in my life and the truth is, I never met him, or got to shake his hand, or even thank him for all he did to put my steps firmly on this writing path that I'm journeying down. But in a strange way, I know he'll always be right here beside me, watching over my shoulder as I pound the keys, helping me find the right words.

6 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Remembering him through your continued writing is the best way to thank him.

David Cranmer said...

Very touching Sandra... Mr. Mullin sounds like someone I would have been honored to know.

Paul D Brazill said...

Lovely stuff. Blame for me joining this merry band goes to Keith (Rawson, of course) -who I met at my space and recommended reading Powder Burn Flash,-and Cormac who gave me a push at Facebook. Top men!

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, guys! You would have got along famously with Ken, David. He had such a wonderful sense of humor and was a warm and caring person. And Paul, I'm glad they brought you on board!

Cormac Brown said...

I'm sorry for your loss, though I would guess he was a hellva mentor from what I've read of your writing.

sandra seamans said...

I think his greatest gift to me was making me believe in myself, Cormac. Though the doubts still plauge me, I keep going because of his belief in my writing.